Trio of Sorcery


Trio of Sorcery
Mercedes Lackey, 2010

This post is part of a week-long series of reviews of Mercedes Lackey novels. See intro post for more information.


Premise: Three urban fantasy novellas about magically talented women solving mysteries. Arcanum 101 is a Diana Tregarde prequel, featuring the witch and Guardian trying to find the connection between a fake psychic and a kidnapped girl, while simultaneously starting college. Drums is a sequel to the novel Sacred Ground, in which medicine woman Jennie Talldeer needs to stop an angry ghost from killing a young dancer. Finally, Ghost in the Machine follows techno-shaman Ellen McBride, who is called in to consult with a MMO corporation who find that their perfectly programmed monster may be more powerful than they planned.

This was a fun read. I especially liked that the stories worked well together, despite not having much overt in common. The first is set in the early 70's, and the protagonist is a college freshman. The second is set in 1995, and Jennie is established, but young, say, late 20's/early 30's? The third is set in 2010, while Ellen seems semi-ageless, and is definitely at the top of her game.

I liked all three stories, although I don't think I ever read Sacred Ground, so I felt a little less sure of Drums than of the other two. Now I want to go re-read some Diana Tregard. Mmmm...Horror/Fantasy. There's some amusing bits in this story about hippies encouraging dangerous metaphysical incursions. I think Ms. Lackey is still a bit pissed about the people who took the Diana Tregarde books way too seriously, and I don't blame her one bit.

Ghost in the Machine was a delight, and I adored Ell. She has a familiar spirit in an AIBO (remember those cute robot dogs?) She programmed it to talk like K9. She's a professional with a wicked sense of humor. I love her.

These stories had fun characters, tense plots, good action scenes, interesting mystery plots, and emotion with very little angst. I thoroughly approve.

4 Stars – A Really Good Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)