Top Ten Freebie - Books Bought on Vacation


Currently going on here at the Bookshelf: Mercedes Lackey Week! Click for more info.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and The Bookish

This Week's Prompt is: Top Ten Tuesday Freebie -- Use this week to write a top ten list about ANYTHING in literature. 

When I first saw this prompt I had all these different ideas for what I could write about!

But I've been incredibly busy, and now I just got back from vacation, and I'm exhausted and my brain feels sludgy.

So instead, here are the Top Ten Books (and book-like things) I bought while on vacation in the land of a thousand awesome used bookstores, aka Seattle.


1: That red book on the bottom is a role-playing game book called Prime Directive. It seems to be a game semi-unofficially based on Star Trek: The Original Series, where the players are Star Fleet commandos. It amuses me greatly, plus it was just $3 at Gary's Games

2 and 3: JLA graphic novels (specifially JLA: One Million and JLA: Strength in Numbers) from when Grant Morrison was writing the team. Bought for 7-10 bucks each at Half Price Books.

4: The Dreamstone, by CJ Cherryh. A 1983 edition of an entertaining-looking fantasy about war between humans and fairies by the inventive Cherryh? Yes, please! $3 at Third Place Books.

5: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is a fantasy which comes highly recommended by The Little Red Reviewer, among others. Half-off cover price at Half Price Books.

6: The Making of Star Trek by Stephen Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry. A history of the production of Star Trek, including a great amount of first-hand material and reprints of parts of the early show bible, etc. Bought for 1.89 at St. Vincent's Thrift Shop.

7: Jirel of Joiry, by C. L. Moore. This is a collection of all the stories about Jirel, the first female sword-and-sorcery pulp heroine, certainly the first written by a woman. I have read the first story, when I reviewed the collection The Best of C.L. Moore. Half-off at Half Price Books.

8: The Hero and the Crown, by Robin McKinley. Author and series was recommended to me by friends, and it was half-off (under $3!) at, you guessed it, Half Price Books!

9: Comic Books! Picked up Batgirl #24 and American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest #3 at Seattle comic shops, actually found one issue at The Dreaming and one at Zanadu. Both great issues, but only Batgirl caused me to get a bit emotional and teary. 

10: Star Trek Comics on CD! Found for $8 at Half Price Books, this claims to hold copies of ALL Star Trek Comics from 1967-2002. I haven't tried it out yet, but assuming they're easy to read and good quality files, this is a great find!

You guys have no idea how many more books I almost bought on top of all this. I have a real thing for little yellowed pulp fantasy paperback editions, and there were SO MANY, but I couldn't have fit much more in our luggage. All that shopping, and I also spent lots of time with friends, but now I need a nap.

Comments

  1. Looks like you found some gems. I like your taste. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was eyeing The Lies of Lock Lamora in the bookstore a while ago, but couldn't decide whether to try it or not. Can't wait to see your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I hope to review many of these in the coming months, but I've got a queue of other posts to get through first :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)