Follow Friday Aug 5


This is Follow Friday, hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read

Today's Question is:

Q. Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life (was it a book that turned you from an average to avid reader, did it help you deal with a particularly difficult situation, does it bring you comfort every time you read it?).

As a child, some of the books that most affected me were The Prydain Chronicles, which cemented my love of both fantasy novels and mythology. More recently, I've been rereading Lois McMaster Bujold's Memory whenever I feel down. The theme of that book is career change, finding you're still coming of age at thirty, and what happens when your future isn't the one you envisioned. All of which is difficult to deal with, even in a sci-fi future, so I find it very comforting. Plus it's a fantastic read!

Articles from the Bookshelf this week:

Comments

  1. New follower :) I'm afraid I've never heard of the books you mentioned but I will keep a look out for them in the future!

    (My #FF post if you are interested: http://skyink.net/?p=2520)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memory sounds like something I really need to read!

    New Follower!

    My Follow Friday

    ~Kristin @ Better Read Than Dead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of the book you mentioned, but I'll be sure to look it up!
    Cana (new follower)
    http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping through. I've heard great things about Bujold. I need to read her books.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read those books, but it's great that you found something meaningful through sci-fi. :) I'm a new follower.

    My Hop and Follow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Alison et.al, conveniently Baen offers one of the first books in Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series as a FREE ebook on their site. That one is a bit more light-hearted adventure than some of the later ones, but it's a super fun read and a good place to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of any of those books, but but I do love books that get you thinking. Sounds like you were reading awesome stuff as a kid!

    Please consider stopping by my blog to see my answers - I'm a BRAND NEW follower. : )

    http://onceuponaprologue.blogspot.com/2011/08/follow-friday-13-book-blogger-hop-11.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)