Comics Briefly: Budget Cuts: Batman Beyond #4, Fear Itself #1


No books I wanted enough to buy this week, although I do want to mention the new graphic novel collection for Star Trek: Khan - Ruling in Hell. It's in comic shops starting today, or you can pre-order it on Amazon. I have the issues, and it's a lovely miniseries.

Issues below were new in stores on 4/6/11

Batman Beyond #4
Writer: Adam Beechen
Pencils: Eduardo Pansica, Inker: Eber Ferreira

I'm happy with my decision to drop this book, although this seemed to be an okay issue. For one thing, the regular artist was off this month! YAY! The art was so much better in this issue. More interesting, better facial expressions, more kinetic, just better. The characters are still awkward and poorly written, and I hate the connections to current DC continuity. Constantly name-checking things that are going on now, 2011, in DC books misses the entire point/opportunity of having a book set in the future. Did Not Purchase.


Fear Itself #1
Writer: Matt Fraction, Artist: Stuart Immonen

This is Marvel's big universe event for the year, I guess. This first issue seemed pretty good; it's all focused on Captain America and Thor villains, which makes sense to gently push the idea of the upcoming movies. I just don't connect to those characters enough to want to get into another event right now. If the issue had blown me away, maybe, but it didn't quite get there. Did Not Purchase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)