October Comics Briefly Catch-up: Batman Incorporated #4, Captain Marvel #5, Star Trek/Doctor Who #6, Sword of Sorcery (Amethyst) #1, Uncanny Avengers #1, Wolverine and the X-Men #18


Been super busy the past few weeks and I’m re-evaluating the sustainability of my budget for comic issues, but I do have several weeks worth of new comics to talk about:

To sum up:
The Best: Sword of Sorcery
The Good: Captain Marvel, Batman Inc.
The In-between: Wolverine and the X-Men
The Bad: Star Trek/Doctor Who, Uncanny Avengers


Batman Incorporated #4
Writer: Grant Morrison, Artist: Chris Burnham

I don’t really understand the last few pages, but other than that this was a strong action-oriented issue in which the (male, un-rebooted) members of Batman Inc. go up against the League of Assassins. Pretty fun stuff, although the characters I actually like were under-used in favor of the D-listers.


Captain Marvel #5
Writer: Kelly Sue Deconnick, Artist: Emma Rios, Colorist: Jordie Bellaire

A lot of great moments in this issue. I might not be completely on board with the “jumping through time” plotline yet, but there’s a lot of good stuff to be had. Carol trying to interact with Helen, who she knew/will know at a very different time is interesting, and the way they spark off each other is fun.


Star Trek/Doctor Who #6
Written by Scott & David Tipton, Pencils by Gordon Purcell, Art by J. K. Woodward

The plot picks up a little, but this story is really dragging on too long, and the art continues to be rather slapdash and terrible. If there were more than two issues left, I would quit this series right now.


Sword of Sorcery (Amethyst) #1
Writer: Christy Marx, Art: Aaron Lopresti, Colors: Hi-Fi

Yay Amethyst! This picks up right from the end of Issue #0, and I’m really enjoying this so far! I love how Amy’s training kicks in, while her reaction to the horror of actual battle feels real. I love that the book is layering in some complexity to Amy’s wicked aunt. She’s a prototypical wicked queen in many ways, but she’s still a person with feelings and doubts. So far I like the looks of the different clans quite a bit, too. The Beowulf back-up is still completely uninteresting.


Uncanny Avengers #1
Writer: Rick Remender, Artist: John Cassaday, Color: Laura Martin

I’m intrigued by a lot of the titles coming up with ‘Marvel Now!’ Writers who I have liked are taking on Sif, Iron Man, and Thor, and a lot of the previews I’ve read are kind of neat. I should have listened to my instincts and stayed away from this one, though. It picks up in the aftermath of AvX and deals with the repercussions... sort of. I mean, if “let’s dudes talk about form a new team while the ladies have a cat fight” can really be called dealing with anything. There are neat things about it, and some moments I liked, especially around Wolverine. Someone online pointed out that the ending is fantastically camp, looked at a certain way, and maybe I could get behind that, but it really threw me, as is, and didn’t make me interested in picking up the next issue.


Wolverine and the X-Men #18
Writer: Jason Aaron, Penciler: Jorge Molina, Inker: Norman Lee

This issue has a decent sum-up of the end of AvX, and an assortment of good character moments. That doesn’t quite make up for the upsetting ending. Seriously, if this book wants to kill/wreck my favorite characters and doesn’t want to be my fun-feel-good Marvel book anymore, I’m dropping it for Young Avengers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)