Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book Three)


Mockingjay
Suzanne Collins, 2010

Premise: Final book of The Hunger Games. (Book One, Book Two) The revolution is finally at hand, as the Districts try to bring down the government of Panem. Can Katniss become the symbol that the rebel leaders want her to be? If she does, what will happen to her friends still in captivity?

I've had a surprisingly hard time sitting down to write this review. It's not that I'm unsure how I feel about the book: I loved it. It's rather that it was such an experience to read that I'm not sure I'm up to articulating my response.

Mockingjay had some of the same world-building weaknesses that have characterized this series. However, since this one was more limited in scope (focused mostly on District Thirteen and very specific sequences in other areas) and concentrated on what the characters didn't know, the world didn't bother me as much.

I liked the expanded/combined cast of characters building off of the second book. I thought the plot twists were well done. This is not, overall, a happy book. Katniss is in a very dark, broken place, and her narration reflects that.

I loved the end, although I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. I'll just say that I liked the way it resonated thematically with the whole series.

I loved the way Katniss' opinions and plans shifted constantly. I loved the return of the theme of music. You should really find some melancholy folk music to listen to while you read this.

I actually re-read this one, which I hadn't done with the first two. It makes my heart feel heavy in a cleansing sort of way, if that makes any sense.

5 Stars - An Awesome book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)