Comics Briefly: Batgirl #3, Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13, Batwoman #3, Demon Knights #3, Huntress #2, Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #2




Favorite Book This Week: Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13!

All issues were new in stores on 11/9/11

Batgirl #3
Writer: Gail Simone Penciller: Ardian Syaf, Inker: Vicente Cifuentes, Colors: Ulises Arreola

This issue gets much more interesting once Nightwing's involved, but I'm just not that emotionally connected to NewYoung!Babs. I don't feel like I get her, I find her villain boring and her motivation murky. A few really gorgeous panels bring this up to good overall, but I'm really tired of this plot.


Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13
Writer: Scholly Fish, Pencils: Rick Burchett, Inks: Dan Davis, Colorist: Guy Major

YAY! Awwww, this was freaking adorable! A parody of a classic Batman comic, starring ALL THE ROBINS. Yes, ALL OF THEM. Everyone gets a little moment, and Nightwing (in full 70's awesome-costume) organizes the troops. The plot is fun, the resolution fantastic. Carrie mocks Damian! Tim and Stephanie hang out! Jason tries to be all cool, but he loves Batman too! YAY!


Batwoman #3
Writers: J.H. Williams III & W. Haden Blackman, Artist: J.H. Williams III, Colors: Dave Stewart

I finally in this issue got a glimpse of why everyone is so nuts for this character. There were a couple of character moments that I found really compelling. It's really too bad I still don't like the character. I'm really warming to Bette, though. The biggest flaw with this issue was the length. It just feels paced wrong to me, like it cuts off before it can get going.


Demon Knights #3
Writer: Paul Cornell, Penciller: Diogenes Neves, Inker: Oclair Albert, Colorist: Marcelo Maiolo

Nuts, not as much fun as last month. This one's suffering a bit from "middle of the story" syndrome: not much happens except bits of exposition and some really annoyingly pointless plot twists.


Huntress #2
Writer: Paul Levitz, Penciller: Marcus To, Inker: John Dell, Colorist: Andrew Dalhouse

This continues to be decent, but I'm not sure it reaches great. Solid action, nice character moments, solid art. Nothing that impressed me, though.


Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #2 
Writer: Chris Roberson, Pencils: Jeffery Moy, Inker: Phillip Moy,  Colors: Romulo Fajardo

This book is a lot of fun. Ridiculous amounts of fun. I really love the writing, the touch on the Trek dialogue is especially nice, although I do wish the pace would pick up a little. The little cross-world allusions are funny, and I have some very amused ideas about what could happen next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)