Comics Briefly: Avengers Academy #16, Batman: Gates of Gotham #3, Darkwing Duck #14, Power Girl #26


Favorite Issue This Week: Power Girl #26

All issues were new in stores on 7/20/11

Last week's books were so strong that this week feels a bit like a let down, even though the issues are fine, overall.


Avengers Academy #16
Writer: Christos Gage, Penciler: Tom Raney, Inker: Andrew Hennessy, Colorist: Jeromy Cox

This came close to taking top marks this week. It's the second Avengers Academy/Fear Itself tie-in issue, but it isn't quite as strong as the last one. The first section, about Giant-Man fighting the (now-powered-up) Absorbing Man was fine, if a little simple. The second part, a small story about Veil trying to help one person in the warzone, was a touch predictable, but came quite close to being emotionally powerful. The hit-and-miss art on Veil's expressions holds it back for me, though.


Batman: Gates of Gotham #3
Story: Scott Snyder & Kyle Higgins, Writers: Kyle Higgins & Ryan Parrott, Artist: Trevor McCarthy, Colors: Guy Major

This miniseries is starting to slip a little in my opinion. I am much more interested in the historical plotline than the current events, and the art is not my cup of tea. That said, I like that the odd emphasis on hair makes the Bats here (Dick, Tim, Cass, Damian) look sort of related, which is cool. It's still good, just not quite as good as I want it to be.

Side Note: Seriously, these god-awful Subway ads in the middle of all DC issues? I refuse to read them. I am tearing them out. Burning them. This has gone far enough.


Darkwing Duck #14
Writer: Ian Brill, Artist: James Silvani, Colorist: Lisa Moore

It pains me to say this, but this might have been the weakest book in my stack this week. I still really enjoy the art and the writing, and the plot is stronger than the last issue, but not quite coming together. This feels like more set-up, not like the beginning of a new arc yet, and I'm tired of set-up. Maybe next month's will be better.


Power Girl #26
Writer: Matthew Sturges, Artist: Hendry Prasetya, Colorist: Jessica Kholinne

This one-shot was so frickin' adorable! Is it corny here and there? Yes. Do I care? Hell, no! The art is sleek and pretty, the dialogue snappy and the action strong, the story is sweet and positive. And there's a platoon of earnest, excited PG cosplayers fighting a cranky alien lady in space. Consider me converted: I love Power Girl too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)