Comics Briefly: Batman #1, Cloak and Dagger #2, Darkwing Duck #16, Supergirl #1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2, Ultimate X-Men #1, Wonder Woman #1




Favorite Issue this week: Supergirl #1 (Close run with TMNT, Batman and Darkwing Duck, though)

All books were new in stores on 9/21/11


Batman #1
Writer: Scott Snyder, Penciller: Greg Capullo, Inker: Jonathan Glapion, Colors: FCO Plascencia

I was actually won over on this one by the art, more than the writing. Yeah, with the twist in the first sequence the writing was pretty awesome. (The ending twist is silly.) But what I really enjoyed was the tone set by a Batsuit with a bit of an old-fahioned touch, combined with "cute" style Bruce. Also, despite my eternal love for the ladies of Gotham, a panel that highlights the clannishness of Bruce and his troop of sons always makes me smile.


Cloak and Dagger #2
Writer: Nick Spencer, Artist: Emma Rios, Colorist: Javier Rodriguez

Not quite as much fun as Issue #1, but still a beautiful, haunting book. Technically a Spider-Island tie-in, but you can read this mini-series alone. It's got real style.


Darkwing Duck #16
Writer: Ian Brill, Artist: James Silvani, Colorist: Lisa Moore

Really fun issue! The reveal on the villain was well done, and played into the larger plot threads. The dialogue was snappier than it's been for the last few, too. Next time: Crossover with Ducktales!


Supergirl #1
Writers: Michael Green & Mike Johnson, Penciler: Mahmud Asrar, Inker: Dan Green

This was pretty great. I like the tone, the art. Most of all, I like Kara, which is really what this series needs to sell it. I don't like whatever is going on with her tights/boots/whatever, but I like her attitude. Superman better not be a dick to her in the next issue, or I'll be disappointed.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2
Story: Kevin Eastman & Tom Waltz, Script: Tom Waltz, Layouts: Kevin Eastman, Art: Dan Duncan, Colors: Ronda Pattison

More great action, more exposition, pretty art. I really want this to be awesome, and so far it's solid but not jawdropping. Good stuff, although even the high quality paper doesn't stop me from wincing a little at the 3.99 cover price on this title.


Ultimate X-Men #1
Writer: Nick Spencer, Pencils: Paco Medina, Inks: Juan Vlasco, Colors: Marte Gracia

Most of the press has been about Spider-man, but there's a lot of shuffling going on in the Ultimate Marvel U these days. This was a pretty interesting little book, taking the themes of the X-Men in a new direction. Many characters are dead or missing, and those who remain are in constant danger. I don't know whether I'll follow this long, but it features both Kitty and Rogue, so I'm interested.


Wonder Woman #1
Writer: Brian Azzarello, Artist: Cliff Chiang, Colorist: Matthew Wilson

Very intriguing, but I'm not fully sold yet. The story seems neat, and I actually really like the designs on the gods, but Diana seems like a bit of a cypher in this issue. We'll see what happens next.



Best Book I didn't buy:

X-Men Schism #4
Damn. I expected another struggle between Wolverine and Cyclops to end up tired and cliche, so I skipped this when it started. However, I really liked the last issue, and this one was awesome from the sparking dialogue to the final gorgeous splash panel. I'm a little sad that I haven't been collecting this. I really liked this issue, but at this point I'm holding out for the trade.


Also Considered:

Green Lantern Corps #1
Hey, all the pages that weren't in the stupid preview were actually really good. Guy and John bond over being openly Green Lanterns, then set off to kick some ass. I like that they're both heroes, as opposed to Hal who was a worthless schmuck in his book. They're having problems with other stuff, but they're good at being good guys.

Blue Beetle #1
Shrug. Maybe call me when you're done retelling the freaking origin.

Star Trek #1
This was cute but I decided I didn't need a new retelling of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" starring the 2009 crew. However, if that sounds awesome to you, check out this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)