Comics Briefly: Action Comics #3, American Vampire #20, Animal Man #3, Swamp Thing #3



All books new in stores on 11/2/11

Action Comics #3
Writer: Grant Morrison, Pencillers: Rage Morales and Gene Ha, Inkers: Rick Bryants and Gene Ha, Colorists: Brad Anderson and Art Lyon

The first section, a flashback to Krypton, is really good, but the rest seems disjointed. I'm not sure when all these vignettes are happening in relation to each other, or how any of them resolve. I read it twice, but I feel like I'm missing a through-line. The back matter about the other "Super-" titles is much appreciated, and the kind of thing they should be doing in the back of the issues, instead of the same preview or interview in EVERY book in a given month. Of course, it just made me surer that the only one of those books I'm interested in is Supergirl, but I think the idea is right.


American Vampire #20
Writer: Scott Snyder, Artist: Jordi Bernet, Colors: Dave McCaig

I found this stronger than last month's, at least for the flashback in the first part. I really liked the story of how that character came to be. The stuff happening "now" leaves me a little flatter. But as in last month, the final splash page doesn't get me excited for the next issue, just leaves me confused.


Animal Man #3
Writer: Jeff Lemire, Art: Travel Foreman, Color: Lovern Kindzierski

This was okay. More information and plot than last time, although I'm still dissatisfied with the slow pace. This is a problem I'm having with ALL of the New 52, though. Not enough plot, too much dark and edginess. The combo is deadly for me, because the way you keep me interested without plot is with humor and character moments.


Swamp Thing #3
Writer: Scott Snyder, Artists: Victor Ibañez, Yanick Paquette, Colors: Nathan Fairbairn

Interesting new plot twists, and finally some more info but, again, not enough happening in one issue. Also there was a single panel page that I'm sure would have been really effective were it not opposite a full page ad for Red Hood and the Outlaws, so it took me a while to figure out that it was in fact part of the comic. I like Abigail's new look alright, while the verdict's still out on her character. The cover is so stupid... I don't even want to talk about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)