The Mermaid's Madness



The Mermaid's Madness
Jim C. Hines, 2009

Premise: The sequel to The Stepsister Scheme, this is the continuing adventures of kick-ass princesses Snow, Talia and Danielle. The Kingdom of Whiteshore had a friendly relationship with the local tribe of undine (mermaids) that included mutual respect and trade. Or they did until this year. The mermaid princess Lirea has returned to take command of her tribe, and she is determined to go to war with humanity. Danielle and the others need to find out Lirea's true history and how to stop her, before more people die.

I liked this quite a bit, even though it risks being more of the same. I still like all the characters, I like the world, I like the way the story plays with fairy tale conventions.

I really like the twist on The Little Mermaid that is central to this one. It's dark and twisted and awesome. Lirea is a sadly broken person, and as such is fairly sympathetic, despite everything. The culture of the undine was fascinating, too.

Danielle has learned some since the last book, although this time she has to convince her prince that it's okay for her to go off on adventures. Talia and Snow are adjusting to the trio-team dynamic, and there's some growth in all their relationships.

I wish I had more to say than that these books are really fun action-packed romps starring a great team of women, and I approve of them. I suppose that's enough, though. I really enjoy reading them, and I fully intend to read more of these “Charlie's Angels” style Princess stories.

4 Stars – A Very Good Book


Comments

  1. Sounds like a fun series! I have never heard of it before so I will have to look into it for sure! Great review!

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have to admit I didn't really like the first book in this series, but I do want to check the rest of it out.

    Also I love the picture at the top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, folks! The fourth book in this series just came out a month or so ago, but I haven't gotten to it yet. (There's a review of Book three sitting in queue...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)