Comics Briefly: Action Comics #2, Animal Man #2, Huntress #1, Swamp Thing #2



As we head into the second month of the New DC titles, I have to admit that this entire experience has got me somewhat burnt out on single issue comics. I'm just tired of most of what I'm seeing. I'll still be picking them up, for now, but we'll see whether I either get sucked back in by something great, or soon my pull list is going to drop way down.

Favorite Issue this Week: Huntress #1

All issues new in stores on 10/5/11


Action Comics #2
Writer: Grant Morrison, Pencillers: Rags Morales & Brent Anderson, Inkers: Rick Bryant & Brent Anderson

This continues to be mostly fun and intriguing. Good energy in the characters and the art. There's a substantial art preview and interview in the back of this issue, some of what is coming seems promising to me, and some of it seems less so.


Animal Man #2
Story: Jeff Lemire, Art: Travel Foreman, Colors: Lovern Kindzierski

Some of what happened in this issue was pretty interesting, but in the end I was dissatisfied with the amount of plot here. I might push this book off to waiting for trade if the pace doesn't pick up.


Huntress #1 (of 6)
Writer: Paul Levitz, Penciller: Marcus To, Inker: John Dell, Colorist: Andrew Dalhouse

This I really enjoyed. I wish the tone had been leavened with a bit more humor, but it was definitely Helena, doing what she does best: fighting gangsters and protecting the innocent. There's some of the same subject covered here as in the graphic novel Pipeline (which starred Question and Huntress), although nothing would make me happier than adding a partner for Huntress to play off of.


Swamp Thing
Writer: Scott Snyder, Artist: Yanick Paquette, Colors: Nathan Fiarbairn

More consistent art than Issue 1, which was already pretty strong, and a decent amount of plot movement. I really liked the beginning, although I was not completely satisfied with its resolution. I am really beginning to think I can't collect both this and Animal Man. There's just too much of the same thematic ground covered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)