Comics Briefly: Batman: Gates of Gotham #2, X-Men: Legacy #251



Favorite Issue This Week: Gates of Gotham #2

Issues were new in stores on 6/22/11

Batman: Gates of Gotham #2
Writer: Scott Snyder & Kyle Higgins, Artist: Trevor McCarthy, Colors: Guy Major

I liked this issue quite a lot. There's a really nice pacing to the multiple story threads, using each bit as counterpoint to another. Also I am really enjoying the fantastic interplay watching the younger bats (Tim, Cass, & Damian) interact. Plus, I have to add, I love Cass's Black Bat costume.

X-Men Legacy #251
Writer: Mike Carey, Pencils: Khoi Pham, Inks: Tom Palmer & Craig Yeung with Nelson DeCastro, Colors: Marte Gracia

This continues the Lost Legions storyline from the last issue. Several of Legion's murderous superpowered sub-personalities are on the loose. I love comic books. Most of the writing and art is pretty strong here. There is one notable plot hole regarding the timing of Magneto attacking Legion: it's not clear, at least to me, whether taking him down would have any effect on the other personalities. I did really like a lot of the dialogue in this one. Styx is really scary, though.

Also Considered:
Secret Avengers  #14 (Fear Itself)
I skimmed this in the store and came really close to buying it, but bought a graphic novel instead. It seems to be both a snippet of the Fear Itself war, and a one-shot highlighting Valkyrie's history. Valkyrie is a character I would like to know better. Plus it's written by Nick Spencer, who I like.... Maybe I will go back for this issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)