Comics Briefly: Batman Inc. #1, Saga #3, Wolverine and the X-Men #10



I still haven't quite balanced my lessened comic-buying habits with when to write about comics here on the blog, so here are the only three issues I bought over the last three weeks. I have been trying to mix in more graphic novel reviews, and there might be more back-issue reviews coming soon.

Issues arrived in stores as follows: Wolverine and the X-Men: 5/9 Saga: 5/16, Batman Inc: 5/23


Batman Inc. #1
Writer: Grant Morrison, Artist: Chris Burnham, Color: Nathan Fairbairn

That was half great, half sort of confusing, and all intensely strange. I think I liked it. I almost wrote off the ending as more pointless fake drama, but then I thought about it, and it could be kind of awesome. We'll see next month. I do still miss Steph and Cass (and Kate was part of round one, too!) but it's nice seeing, if briefly, some of the random third-stringers who were highlighted in the first set of Batman Inc. issues.


Saga #3
Writer: Brian K. Vaughn, Artist: Fiona Staples

Another great issue in a really interesting series. More new characters to fall for! More intriguing wrinkles about the characters we've met already! I especially liked the interaction between The Will and The Stalk, plus Isabella is funny. Action, drama, and humor. I like this book. If you like crazy, anything-goes space opera and awesome characters, you owe it to yourself to give Saga a try.


Wolverine and the X-Men #10
Writer: Jason Aaron, Penciler/Colorist: Chris Bacalo, Inkers: Tim Townsend, Jaime Mendoza, Al Vey and Victor Olazaba

Not as good as the last issue; too much Cyclops related angst for me. Everyone's angry, nobody makes that much sense. The friendship between Angel and Genesis is still something I quite like, but there's just too much crossover bleed in this issue, it drags down the pace and the tone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)