We Could Be So Good

We Could Be So Good
Cat Sebastian, 2023

Premise: Nick has worked hard for his newspaper job and his safe, small life. But when the boss's son Andy blows in, sparks fly, and suddenly new, previously unthinkable things may be possible. 

I have in the past been somewhat unsatisfied with Cat Sebastian's romances. They aren't bad, just a little light on tension and stakes for my taste. I heard some strong recommendations for this new one, however, so I decided to check it out. I'm happy to share that I'm glad I did. 

The 1950s NYC setting already sets this apart from most of the LGBT historical romances I've read. It feels well researched; I could see and feel Nick's rickety fire escape and his family's Italian neighborhood, Andy's fancy inherited penthouse, the bustle of the newsroom, and the chill of the waterfront. 

The book makes the most out of switching protagonists, diving deep into their perspectives and emotions. This both helps them feel like distinct characters and helps the reader understand what they see in each other (before they even realize it themselves).

Where they clash makes sense as does how they work through it, which I really appreciated. I was gripped by the story throughout, by emotional twists and turns as both characters discover that they and the world aren't quite what they thought at the beginning. Scatterbrained dilettante Andy discovers that he might actually be good at something, and that love can be more than the surface friendship of his divorced parents' set. Unromantic, practical Nick discovers that there are reasons for romance in the world and that friendships and relationships aren't as universally dangerous as he was led to believe. 

It's a lovely tale, full of colorful characters, and there's enough tension to keep me hooked all the way to the soft landing. 

4 Stars - A Very Good Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)