Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 1)

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 1
Kevin Hearne, 2011

Premise: A nigh-immortal druid gets into trouble with some gods and other supernaturals in modern-day Arizona.

This was another one of the books that had lingered on my shelves for ages. I think we may have won this copy in a raffle or part of some online contest? Something like that. I honestly don't recall. So I finally read it, and it's (drumroll)... fine. 

Good, even. Perfectly adequate and enjoyable urban fantasy. Smooth, readable writing, funny characters and scary villains, twisty plot with a strong ending. Very workmanlike and well-done.

Had I read it when it came out in 2011, I might have read more in the series. And that's not a slight on the book, that's a look at how different my life is now, with a full-time job and a young child. If book one is enjoyable, but not outstanding, there had better be some compelling reason to pick up another. If I were particularly drawn to the protagonist, or the world, that might do it. But I'm not. 

The protagonist, Atticus O'Sullivan, is enjoyable to read, but not especially memorable. He's grounded and sassy and very powerful when the plot requires it - i.e., an urban fantasy protagonist. The world is fun, more Irish myth than a lot of urban fantasy, but the use of it wasn't that compelling. My overall impression was a bit like if American Gods had a more interesting plot and less interesting mythology. 

It was enjoyable, but not compelling. I wouldn't reread it, so off it goes to find another person who will. 

3 Stars - A Good Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)