The Book Eaters

The Book Eaters
Sunyi Dean, 2022

Premise: Devon grew up only knowing the secret world of the book eaters, but to protect her son she'll find a way to revolt against her family, no matter who she has to sacrifice.

This book came strongly recommended, and I enjoyed it, but I definitely didn't love it.

The book eaters (and mind eaters) made for a unique spin on vampires; Devon's struggles and anguish about her role in the restrictive, sexist book eater world were vividly depicted. The multiple twists were fine, although I didn't buy into most of the red herrings, which meant I only pushed through to get to the next twist without feeling the intended tension.

I don't know. I liked it fine, but something about the style or the characters didn't completely click for me. It's pretty gross at times, and extremely morally grey. It's about motherhood and monsters, and what you're willing to do for your child. It's very well written, but I just didn't find it emotionally compelling. Should have worked for me, but not quite. 

3 Stars - A Good Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)