All-New X-Men Vol. 1: Yesterday's X-Men

\

All-New X-Men Vol. 1: Yesterday's X-Men
Brian Michael Bendis, Stuart Immonen, 2013

Premise: Henry McCoy, aka Beast, is struggling with his life, with his mutation, with recent events, with their place in history. He has a crazy idea. It involves time travel. It also involves the teenaged original X-men. Collects All-New X-Men #1-5

I had heard all sorts of good things about this title, and I'm happy to report that it lived up to my expectations. I should mention that while everything is explained, if you don’t already know what happened with Cyclops and the return of the Phoenix and A v X and Schism and the splitting of the X-men characters, this might not be the best jumping on point.

This is one of those times, not all that rare in comics, when something awesome and intriguing comes out of something annoying. After A v X, parts of the X part of the Marvel Universe seemed too far gone, but give that wacky starting point to a solid writer with a good idea, and suddenly you've got a story!

The writing is strong here, every character gets their moments. The art is great, I love the details around uniforms and powers.

Honestly my main problem with this volume is that it's almost all set up. It has to set up a lot, from the teen team, what's going on with Logan and Storm and Kitty at the Jean Grey School, what's going on with Scott's team. Everyone has plans and plots and emotional issues. I’m glad I read this volume, though, and I’ll look for more. I’ll look for it to be on sale (how I got this one), but I will keep an eye out.

4 Stars - A Very Good Book

Comments

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)