Comics Briefly: Batman #6, Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #5, Wonder Woman #6


In other comics news, I'm reading a fair number of graphic novels that I need to sit down and review, but here's a quick preview:

Batman: No Man's Land 1: ugly 90's art, good stories
Locke & Key 1: little too gory for me, but well structured
Blacksad: Flat-Out Brilliant


Okay, back to business.


Favorite Issue This Week: Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #5
Issues new in stores on 2/15/12

Batman #6
Writer: Scott Snyder, Penciller: Greg Capullo, Inker: Jonathan Glapion, Colorist: FCO

Hmmm. There are a few pretty good moments here, and a win of sorts? It's not a bad issue, but I do feel like everything in the last three issues could have been dealt with in one and a half. The art is beginning to really grate on me with this series. It's unclear how much of what was happening early on in the issue was delusions, for one thing. (Frankly, I was pulling for the whole damn labyrinth being a delusion. I just can't buy the idea that something that size is under Gotham and no one has built in it/demolished it for subway stations/condos/mole people/etc.) Plus this is at least two issues without either pretty!Bruce or the really sleek 40's costume vibe, and those are the two things I liked the most in the first couple issues. Also, I fully agree with Bruce's sentiment: I am sick of owls. But there's a big owl-focused crossover coming up... It may be time to switch to waiting for the trades.


Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #5
Writer: Chris Roberson, Pencils: Jeffery Moy, Inker: Philip Moy, Colors: Romulo Fajardo, Jr.

Very silly cover on this month's installment, but it reflects the interior in tone, if not content. This continues to be a trip through a cross-universe adventure that's only serious on the surface. The Enterprise crew and the Legionnaires are split into two teams in two times, hoping to defeat an immortal conqueror. Is it great storytelling? Nah. Are the jokes kind of in-jokes for fans? Yes. But the interactions are still cute, the plot twists amusing, and I'll definitely finish out this mini-series.


Wonder Woman #6
Writer: Brian Azzarello, Artist: Tony Atkins, Inks: Dan Green, Colorist: Matthew Wilson

Not a terrible issue, but nothing that changes my mind about this series. I don't remember enough of what was happening to make full sense of what was going on here. I guess it's the end of an arc? Sort of? There were a few panels I had to read a few times, and then I still wasn't sure what happened in them. This artist just isn't hitting the mark, and the story doesn't hold up without Cliff Chang's internal work (he did do the cover here). I know that on some objective level this is a fine comic, but I just don't personally enjoy it. Switching to Trades...Go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)