Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, Book 4)


Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, Book 4)
Kerry Greenwood, 1992

Premise: Miss Phryne Fisher has been a magnet for trouble before, but it’s still startling to be shot at while driving down the street. After witnessing a killing at the docks, Phryne is determined to see the killers pay, no matter if it leads her and her household into further danger.

No, you’re not seeing things, I didn’t review books two or three. I did read them. I’ve really been enjoying Kerry Greenwood’s work for the past year. It’s great light bus reading.

I wanted to mention this one in more depth because while I liked books two and three, this one really brought the things I liked in the first book back to the forefront. In the intervening time since book one, Phryne has settled her new household, and even added to it, taking in two orphaned girls.

The double plot of this novel follows both the investigation of the murder of a young anarchist and the disappearance of a well-off young woman. Both mysteries require Phryne and her companions to infiltrate settings as diverse as a convent, a seance and a morgue to collect information.

I felt that Phryne was more dynamic in this book in some senses. I felt her passions - her anger and fear and lust - more consistently than in some of the other volumes.

I’ll definitely keep picking these up. I need more positive, not-too-brain-taxing reads on my Kindle for my commute through the dark winter.

4 Stars - A Very Good Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)