Comics Briefly: American Vampire #27, Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise Part Two, Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who #1, Superman Family Adventures #1, Wolverine and the X-Men #11



Big Week for me! Bought five books at the store, from five different imprints.

Favorite Book This Week: Not counting Avatar (because that wouldn't be fair, it's better than anything) hmmm... both Superman Family Adventures and Wolverine and the X-Men were pretty good, in very different ways.

All books new in stores on 5/30/12


American Vampire #27 (The Nocturnes, Part Two)
Writer: Scott Snyder, Art: Riccardo Burchielli, Colors: Dave McCaig

A solid issue overall, but nothing amazing. Poole (the youngest American Vamp that we know of) fights werewolves in an Alabama suburb and reflects on his life and the times. I did get a little confused at first on certain points when the action sped up, but I did like it overall. This issue also includes a preview of another upcoming AV mini, called Lord of Nightmares.


Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise Part Two
Script: Gene Luen Yang, Art: Gurihiru

It isn't fair to review this fully here, since it's really a little graphic novel, and so good that it blows everything else out of the water. I didn't love this quite as much as I loved part one, but it was still really really great.


Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who #1
Writers: Scott & David Tipton and Tony Lee, Art: J. K. Woodward

This issue should really have started with the last few pages and gone on from there. There is way too much set-up here, not enough story. The painterly art is not a style I like, but I guess it could be worse. Overall, not bad, but not nearly as much fun as I was hoping.


Superman Family Adventures #1
Writing and Art by Art Baltazar & Franco

Oh, that was super adorable. Not to mention hilarious. I loved this, a short sweet story with cute artwork and actual funny jokes. There were a couple of moments that I didn't quite think were pitch perfect, but this definitely tickled me, and I'll be looking forward to more!


Wolverine and the X-Men #11
Writer: Jason Aaron, Penciler: Nick Bradshaw, Inkers: Walden Wong, Nick Bradshaw and Norman Lee, Colorist: Justin Ponsor

Even while I liked the opening of this issue, I had doubts that it was going to be good. Avengers Vs. X-Men has been getting into the heights of its histrionics, and the cover to this issue looks really uninteresting. And yes, the page and a half dedicated to the Red Hulk/Iceman battle is boring. But a bunch of the other little X-Men character moments were good, and the main plot follows Wolverine and Hope battling Shi'ar Death Commandos, and trying to deal with each other. I don't know whether Hope's powers are supposed to work they way they do here, but I don't care, because it was a great scene. I think this book really gets what's cool and poignant and awesome about current Wolverine, and so it remains true that the best part of the crossover is this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)