Comics Briefly: Batgirl #5, Batwoman #5, Demon Knights #5, Wolverine and the X-Men #4



Favorite Issue This Week: Wolverine and the X-Men #4 (Demon Knights is a close second, though)

All Issues new in stores on 1/11/12

Batgirl #5
Writer: Gail Simone, Pencillers: Adrian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes, Inker: Vicente Cifuentes, Colors: Ulises Arreola

I liked this issue more than I've liked the early ones, but I'm still not big on this title. The art has been decent overall, but I really disliked the first splash page in this issue from a posing standpoint. About the plot: did we need a new super-badass mystery chick? It just feels a lot like the lackluster parts of last year's Birds of Prey. Babs' internal voice is funny and occasionally sweet, but boy does she need some consistent supporting cast so this book can stop being My So-Called Self-Pitying Superheroic Monologue.


Batwoman #5
Writers: J.H. Williams III & W. Haden Blackman, Artist: J.H. Williams III, Colors: Dave Stewart

So I guess that was the end of the arc? I don't get this book. I mean, everything that happened followed from what happened before (except for the parts which tie back to the previous series), but in a way that felt dull and by-the-numbers to me. Suddenly Kate knows how to take down the bad guy, but that just leads to the clue for the next MacGuffin bad guy to chase. And then there's a scene to split her book further off from the other Bat-books. Maybe it would have a better pace collected as a graphic novel? There are some decent moments and some pretty panels, but overall I just don't care about anything that's going on.


Demon Knights #5
Writer: Paul Cornell, Pencillers: Diogenes Neves, Inkers: Oclair Albert & Diogenes Neves, Colorist: Marcelo Maiolo

This is more like it! This is a great issue because it takes the part I didn't like from last issue and gives it context and makes me appreciate it. I was a little disappointed with Savage (hope that plot will twist in the next issue) but I really liked this one overall. The bad guys try to tempt our heroes out of the town they're defending, and so we get some great character bits with some of the characters who had been neglected thus far, including confirmation of Exoristos' origin and some gorgeous work with the Horsewoman.


Wolverine and the X-Men #4
Writer: Jason Aaron, Artist: Nick Bradshaw, Colorist: Justin Ponsor

Woo! Continue the crazy! I haven't loved an X-Men comic as much as I love this title in a long time. It's got great humor, great style, and the art on this issue was slicker than last issue. I enjoy both styles, though. This week's installment brought in some new characters, some new twists, and a brief possible-future-flash. I just want to pat new student Genesis on his melancholy little head (you know, carefully), and the new plot with Angel is jaw-dropping. Plus now I want to read the tie-in part over in Uncanny X-Force. Darn you, clever comic makers! (Also, they're on Twitter. @JeanGreySchool This book is awesome.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)