Comics Briefly: Batman: Gates of Gotham #2, X-Men: Legacy #251



Favorite Issue This Week: Gates of Gotham #2

Issues were new in stores on 6/22/11

Batman: Gates of Gotham #2
Writer: Scott Snyder & Kyle Higgins, Artist: Trevor McCarthy, Colors: Guy Major

I liked this issue quite a lot. There's a really nice pacing to the multiple story threads, using each bit as counterpoint to another. Also I am really enjoying the fantastic interplay watching the younger bats (Tim, Cass, & Damian) interact. Plus, I have to add, I love Cass's Black Bat costume.

X-Men Legacy #251
Writer: Mike Carey, Pencils: Khoi Pham, Inks: Tom Palmer & Craig Yeung with Nelson DeCastro, Colors: Marte Gracia

This continues the Lost Legions storyline from the last issue. Several of Legion's murderous superpowered sub-personalities are on the loose. I love comic books. Most of the writing and art is pretty strong here. There is one notable plot hole regarding the timing of Magneto attacking Legion: it's not clear, at least to me, whether taking him down would have any effect on the other personalities. I did really like a lot of the dialogue in this one. Styx is really scary, though.

Also Considered:
Secret Avengers  #14 (Fear Itself)
I skimmed this in the store and came really close to buying it, but bought a graphic novel instead. It seems to be both a snippet of the Fear Itself war, and a one-shot highlighting Valkyrie's history. Valkyrie is a character I would like to know better. Plus it's written by Nick Spencer, who I like.... Maybe I will go back for this issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Case for American Vampire

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, Book 1)

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian