Comics Briefly: American Vampire #21, Batgirl #4, Batwoman #4, Demon Knights #4, Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #3


State of the Collector: I might start buying fewer comics soon. I won't stop reading graphic novels and such, but I'm just not loving much that's coming out right now. I didn't have anything to say about last week's books except "Yup, these are okay but not great, in short: meh." If my husband didn't want to finish out the story arcs, I'd already be cutting some DC titles from my pull list.

Favorite Issue This Week: Demon Knights #4


American Vampire #21
Writer: Scott Snyder, Artist: Jordi Bernet, Colors: Dave McCaig

Decent ending to a mediocre side trip in this world. I'm beginning to get discouraged by even this, one of my favorite titles. I hope the next storyline is better.


Batgirl #4
Writer: Gail Simone, Penciller: Adrian Syaf, Inker: Vicente Cifuentes, Colors: Ulises Arreola

Better in some ways than this title has been, but it was a long time coming. Babs gets to shine a bit more, there's some decent dialogue. I think the art wavers between quite pretty and sorta weird, and the cliffhanger leaves me completely cold, though.


Batwoman #4
Writers: J.H. Williams III & W. Haden Blackman, Artist: J.H. Williams III, Colors: Dave Stewart

I guess this is well done and skillfully put together, I just don't like reading it. I don't like most of the characters, as people. If they actually kill Flamebird I am dropping this book like a bad habit.


Demon Knights #4
Writer: Paul Cornell, Pencillers: Michael Choi & Diogenes Neves, Inkers: Michael Choi & Oclair Albert, Colorist: Marcelo Maiolo

Fairly intriguing issue, giving the back story for Shining Knight. I liked it quite a bit, although it didn't move the plot forward. Some really gorgeous panels in this one.


Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #3
Writer: Chris Roberson, Pencils: Jeffery Moy, Inker: Phillip Moy,  Colors: Romulo Fajardo

Pretty decent amount of fun here. The two teams finally team up to take down some jerks, and it's amusing, if a bit by the numbers. The parallelism is well done, if, again, fairly rote. It made me smile and giggle anyhow.

Comments

  1. Aw. I'm sorry to hear that American Vampire #21 was disappointing. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't terrible, I just didn't find that storyline compelling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Case for American Vampire

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, Book 1)

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian