DC Universe Christmas


DC Universe Christmas
Various Writers and Artists
Compilation released in 2000, Issues originally copyright 1940-1999

Premise: A collection of holiday-themed stories from across the first six decades of DC comics.

Talk about hits and misses! This is a really interesting read, but it’s not always interesting because it’s good. There is a huge array of styles and quality here.

It starts really strong, with a Denny O’Neil Batman tale from 1980 about an ex-con turned mall Santa, and a cute piece from the 90's about Flash (Wally West) shopping for a present for his girlfriend. Then we get a Wonder Woman story from 1943. There’s some historical interest here, but mostly it’s all kinds of horrible. Soon after it is a Teen Titans tale from 1968 with a hokey plot-line and a lot of ‘groovy jive-talking’.

There’s a Robin story which is corny, but cute, a Legion of Superheroes bit that’s wild and kinda wonderful. I was really intrigued by a Green Lantern/Green Arrow team-up that’s Kyle and Connor. I don’t know that I’ve read anything with Connor Hawke before, and I liked him. There are a bunch of short pieces, some well done, some baffling. There’s an old Joe Simon & Jack Kirby Sandman bit that’s terribly dated.

The last two stories end on a high note, too. There’s a 1999 story about Bart Allen (Impulse) and his doubts about Santa, and a 1940 story about Superman and Lois preventing some mustache-twirling villains from preventing Santa’s flight. I mean, Lois mostly “helps” by getting captured and tied to things, like oversized rockets, but it’s pretty amusing.

I’m not sure whether or not I recommend this volume, though. There aren’t any parts that are just amazing, except maybe one or two of the really short two-page stories. I enjoyed reading it, but you have to have a healthy knowledge of and interest in the history of comics to get through some of the older pieces.

3 Stars - A Good Book

Comments

  1. I expect that this is exactly like reading one of DC's one-shots themselves, except with more historical significance, which is probably worth at least that. Sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Case for American Vampire

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, Book 1)

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian