The Hero and The Crown



The Hero and The Crown
Robin McKinley, 1984

Premise: Aerin, daughter of the King of Damar, has always lived under the shadow of her late mother, said by many to have been a witch. Did she inherit more than her hair color? She struggles to find a place in a society that distrusts her, but when danger and war comes to Damar, she will wield a power unknown for generations.

I really really enjoyed this book. It's a delightful fantasy that starts very grounded and grows into something completely epic and surreal by the end. Aerin is tremendously likeable, without being perfect or cliché. She is a practical and stubborn person in a world in which magic and dragons, etc. are real, which means that her practical pursuits include befriending an old war-horse and alchemical experiments.

The writing is easy to read, suitable for younger folks, while being beautiful prose: earthy, classic, stately and poetic. Graceful is a good word for it I think.

In the middle, about the time a less ambitious book would be done with its plot, the story takes a turn for the more fantastic. I was actually starting to wonder what the many pages left could be about as I was reading. Terribly wounded, Aerin follows a dream and an impulse towards great knowledge and great danger. I can't tell you most of the things I loved about this, because I don't want to give anything away. It's dreamy and surprising and frightening, and balances Aerin's innate humanity with a situation out of legend, out of poetry.

The very end takes a step back, both, I imagine, to properly end the story, (which in tone reminded me a hair of Stardust) and to remind us that this is actually a prequel to another book, The Blue Sword.

Overall, a wonderful read.

5 Stars – An Awesome Book

Comments

  1. Yay! I am so glad that you liked this. I would have been very sad if yet another of my favorite books from young adulthood failed to live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Case for American Vampire

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, Book 1)

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian