Top Ten Tuesday - Books I Read Because of the Title or Cover

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and The Bookish


This Week's Prompt:
Top Ten Books Whose Titles Or Covers Made Me Buy Them


I've been skipping a lot of the memes lately, but this one deserves a little comment I think. Although, in my case, many of these books should be called Books whose Titles or Covers made me take them home from the library...


1: James Bond Series, by Ian Fleming

Okay, I read most of this series from the library initially, but I liked the covers on these editions so much that I bought them. They look like old school over-the-top movie posters, and I love it.

They look great on the shelf, the colors are bright and bold, and each spine has a little piece of the picture above the title. I don't tend to take them on the subway, though...





2: The Manual of Detection, by Jedediah Berry

I remember not liking this book as much by the end as I had at the start, but it was the striking cover that made me pick it up at the library.


3: Mister B. Gone, by Clive Barker

More a cute conceit than really a great book, but nicely creepy (a good Halloween pick!) and has gorgeous internal and external design.

The idea: it's a demon, trapped in a book, telling you his story.

4: Ilium, by Dan Simmons

This, not Hyperion, was the first book I read by Dan Simmons, and I picked it out just because I was intrigued by the title and the cover enough to read the back.

It's Greek Myth plus far-future sci-fi, cloning, The Tempest, and a pair of highly literate robots. I'm not sure it's great, but it's definitely ambitious.

5: Recursion, by Tony Ballantyne

Another library book pulled out for its pretty cover. Intriguing, if over-complicated, sci-fi about nano-machines, AI, and fate.

6: The Looking Glass Wars, by Frank Beddor

The problem, I find, with picking out books by cover or title, is that I usually end up disappointed. This was a cool concept, a promising beginning, but I felt it fizzled in the middle somewhere.


I could just fill the rest of this list with wonderful Guy Gavriel Kay titles. So I think I will.



7: Tigana 

Tigana I read between my third or fourth years in college. I had a library edition that was hard cover, had lost its dust jacket, so I had nothing but the title and a vague impression that the author wrote fantasy to go on. I had been so busy with school work, and consciously catching up with classics, that I hadn't really read a novel in some time. I loved this book, and it reminded me how much I love fantasy and need it in my life.

8-10: Sailing to Sarantium, The Lions of Al-Rassan, A Song for Arbonne

All evocative, marvelous titles for great books.

I feel sure I'm forgetting something important though... I'm sure one of you knows a book with an amazing title I shouldn't have left off this list...

Comments

  1. I thought about Mister B. Gone when I started putting my list together, but it was on a challenge for me when I read it. I loved how the pages looked kind of burnt in some areas! The Manual of Detection looks like something I would pick up and read the back or dust cover. If I am not already following you, I am now!

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Bond covers too! I only have a couple. My favourite edition is the Penguin hardcovers, like this one, but I can't afford them :(

    I loved Tigana! I've been tempted to get Recursion, the cover keeps catching my eye.

    I'm intrigued by the Baker book - and the cover helps too!

    Here's my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have a thing for vintage covers, too! I love the old James Bond books. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually get my James Bond books second-hand with old 60s and 70s covers. Love 'em! Love that the newer editions pay homage to that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I almost added The Looking Glass Wars to my list - great book and series. I really need to give Ian Fleming a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Case for American Vampire

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, Book 1)

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian