Comics Briefly: Avengers Academy #9, Darkwing Duck #9, Supergirl #61


Favorite Book this week: Avengers Academy #9


All books new in stores 2/16/11

Avengers Academy #9
Writer: Christos Gage, Penciler: Mike McKone

This is a really solid issue of a really solid book. The art is still hit and miss, but there weren't any terrible panels this month. I especially enjoyed the scenes between Finesse and Taskmaster, and Finesse and Quicksilver. Nice dialogue, nice structure, well done overall.

Darkwing Duck #9
Writer: Ian Brill, Artist: James Silvani

Start of a new storyline this issue, and the return of a classic villain. This is one of the most reliable books I collect. I don't know that it's often mindblowing, but I always enjoy it. Plus, Steelbeak claims F.O.W.L. is trying to do something which very much amuses me...I'll look forward to seeing what happens.

Supergirl #61
Writer: James Peaty, Artist: Bernard Chang

More of the same from last month, plus some good guest stars. I should mention here that I absolutely love Kara sitting in the air. The new villain gives some hints to his identity, and we're left with a cliffhanger that would be stronger if it didn't tangentially remind me about what's happening in other books I don't collect. That's probably not this writer's fault, though.

Also Considered:

Wolverine and Jubilee #2
Read this in the store and it's quite good, but I passed on the first one, so I might just pick this up later if it gets collected.

Comments

  1. Re-reading Darkwing Duck looking for Easter Eggs in the art. I count... a lot, including a few very obscure ones. Anyone else spot the Black Cauldron hat-tip?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Case for American Vampire

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, Book 1)

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian