The Good Knight (The Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, Book 1)

The Good Knight (The Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, Book 1)
Sarah Woodbury, 2011

Premise: When Gwen and her family stumble upon a murder on their way to a wedding at the Welsh king’s court, the last person she expects to run into is her old flame Gareth.

I saw this book offered as a free promotion just when I was thinking that I wanted a relatively light series to get into. The book's not bad, but I don't think I'll be reading any more in the series.

The book (and series) is set in Wales in the 1100s, and the historical setting seems sound for the most part. The characters, the story, and the style were just too bland for me.

Gwen is spunky, Gareth is good-hearted, the villain is fairly ridiculously villainous. The only character with some intriguing nuance is the Welsh king's illegitimate son, who both Gwen and Gareth work for (as an informant/observer and a knight respectively).

I finished reading the book, but I could feel myself rushing through the second half as the plot got more and more melodramatic and I just didn't care. I got the book partially because of an Amazon review that complained that the book was much more a mystery than a romance, but I could have used much more mystery than I got.

I'm just spoiled by the style and tone of the Cadfael books. This is too close in setting and aspirations for it to be satisfying.

2 Stars - An Okay Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)