Comics Briefly: Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes!, Batman #4, Wonder Woman #4, Wolverine and the X-Men #3




All DC's New 52 books have to work against the tide with me recently. I'm just burnt out on the whole damn way-too-dark-and-depressing universe.

Favorite Issue this Week: Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes!

All books new in stores 12/21/11


Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes!
Writer: Grant Morrison, Artist: Cameron Stewart (Chapter 1), Chris Burnham (Chapter 2) Color: Nathan Fairbairn

STEPHANIE! I MISS YOU! Seriously, this issue is the last two issues of Batman Inc - well, the last two issues of the first half of Batman Inc. Happily for everyone, it takes place pre-New52-reboot. The first part (Batgirl Steph Brown infiltrates a finishing school for girl-ninja assassins) was supremely fun. I loved it. The second half made no flipping sense, and I don't care. It made a little more sense after I read the sum-up in the back to remind me of all the previous Batman Inc. shenanigans. Even though it was extremely surreal and I didn't always understand what was happening, the feeling of tension and catharsis was undeniable. What a crazy fun book.



Batman #4
Writer: Scott Snyder, Pencils: Greg Capullo, Inks: Jonathan Glapion, Colors: FCO

Decent issue, but nothing too special. Some good stuff in the middle, nice dialogue, good tone, but I'm getting really tired of every issue ending with a cliffhanger.


Wonder Woman #4
Writer: Brian Azzarello, Artist: Cliff Chiang

This... was not as bad as I feared from the solicits/preview. I still don't like this series. It's just not to my taste. I don't need more horror comics in my life, thanks. No feeling of satisfaction for me from reading this, just a sense of 'huh, okay.'


Wolverine and the X-Men #3
Writer: Jason Aaron, Pencils: Chris Bachalo, Duncan Rouleau & Matteo Scalera, Inkers: Tim Townsend, Jaime Mendoza, Al Vey, Mark Irwin, Victor Olazaba, Duncan Rouleau and Matteo Scalera

Now that's more like it! I laughed, I smiled, I gasped, I said "Oh, that character, now I get it" This was chock full of excellent cameos, and little character moments and fun dialogue for everyone. The art was a bit choppy (look at the size of the team!)  and at points it veered toward melodrama, but overall I loved this issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)