Top Ten Freebie - Books Bought on Vacation

Tuesday, August 16, 2011


Currently going on here at the Bookshelf: Mercedes Lackey Week! Click for more info.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and The Bookish

This Week's Prompt is: Top Ten Tuesday Freebie -- Use this week to write a top ten list about ANYTHING in literature. 

When I first saw this prompt I had all these different ideas for what I could write about!

But I've been incredibly busy, and now I just got back from vacation, and I'm exhausted and my brain feels sludgy.

So instead, here are the Top Ten Books (and book-like things) I bought while on vacation in the land of a thousand awesome used bookstores, aka Seattle.


1: That red book on the bottom is a role-playing game book called Prime Directive. It seems to be a game semi-unofficially based on Star Trek: The Original Series, where the players are Star Fleet commandos. It amuses me greatly, plus it was just $3 at Gary's Games

2 and 3: JLA graphic novels (specifially JLA: One Million and JLA: Strength in Numbers) from when Grant Morrison was writing the team. Bought for 7-10 bucks each at Half Price Books.

4: The Dreamstone, by CJ Cherryh. A 1983 edition of an entertaining-looking fantasy about war between humans and fairies by the inventive Cherryh? Yes, please! $3 at Third Place Books.

5: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is a fantasy which comes highly recommended by The Little Red Reviewer, among others. Half-off cover price at Half Price Books.

6: The Making of Star Trek by Stephen Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry. A history of the production of Star Trek, including a great amount of first-hand material and reprints of parts of the early show bible, etc. Bought for 1.89 at St. Vincent's Thrift Shop.

7: Jirel of Joiry, by C. L. Moore. This is a collection of all the stories about Jirel, the first female sword-and-sorcery pulp heroine, certainly the first written by a woman. I have read the first story, when I reviewed the collection The Best of C.L. Moore. Half-off at Half Price Books.

8: The Hero and the Crown, by Robin McKinley. Author and series was recommended to me by friends, and it was half-off (under $3!) at, you guessed it, Half Price Books!

9: Comic Books! Picked up Batgirl #24 and American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest #3 at Seattle comic shops, actually found one issue at The Dreaming and one at Zanadu. Both great issues, but only Batgirl caused me to get a bit emotional and teary. 

10: Star Trek Comics on CD! Found for $8 at Half Price Books, this claims to hold copies of ALL Star Trek Comics from 1967-2002. I haven't tried it out yet, but assuming they're easy to read and good quality files, this is a great find!

You guys have no idea how many more books I almost bought on top of all this. I have a real thing for little yellowed pulp fantasy paperback editions, and there were SO MANY, but I couldn't have fit much more in our luggage. All that shopping, and I also spent lots of time with friends, but now I need a nap.

4 comments:

Beth D. said...

Looks like you found some gems. I like your taste. New follower!

Sash and Em said...

Nice list!!

New follower!

Check out Sash's Top Ten Guys Who Didn't Get The Girl!
Also check out our GREAT giveaways!

Sarah said...

I was eyeing The Lies of Lock Lamora in the bookstore a while ago, but couldn't decide whether to try it or not. Can't wait to see your review!

Lindsay said...

Thanks ladies! I hope to review many of these in the coming months, but I've got a queue of other posts to get through first :)

Post a Comment