Follow Friday Mar 25

Before I get to the Blog Hop, a bit of history. Today (3/25/11) is the 100 year anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire. Out of that tragedy came many of the fire safety, work safety and child labor laws that many of us now take for granted. Honor the 146 women and girls who died: remember their story.



(And now to change tone entirely...)



This is Follow Friday, hosted by Parajunkee's View

Today's Question is:

Q. Inspired by the inane twitter trend of #100FACTSABOUTME, give us five BOOK RELATED silly facts about you.


1. My taste in media is somewhat diverse, but universally geeky. For example: my two absolute favorite comic book series that I'm collecting right now are Darkwing Duck (kid-friendly action comedy based on the cartoon) and American Vampire (suggested for mature readers, full of violence, blood and nudity)

2. I am a compulsive library goer. I've been a card-carrying member of at least 7 different library systems in four states over the years, possibly more which I'm forgetting.

3. In the summer of 2003 I was broke and bored, and didn't have access to a library for once, so I read the first 5 Harry Potter books (for the first time) over many trips to a Barnes and Noble.

4. The first book I ever read was The Cat in the Hat. I was very young, such that my parents were rather surprised to discover I could read.

5. I have an odd amount of affection for 4.5" by 7" paperback books. I know they can look clunky on the shelves, but they are light and small, which is handy for reading on the train. So many of my memories of reading are bound up in mass market paperbacks, that at this point I just like them as a format.

Happy Hopping, readers!

Comments

  1. I love mass market paperbacks. I honestly believe that if I had purchased Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" in that format instead of the huge, clunky one that I bought I would have finished it by now.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire is a tragedy that I think has been forgotten and shouldn't be. Thanks for reminding us!

    New follower-have a wonderful weekend!
    Kristin@ My Bookish Ways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. I'm addicted to the library. Luckily, where I live you can go to any library in the 7 county area using the same card. When I lived in AZ I had 5 library cards for 5 different systems.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessi: I understand. We have a big pretty hardcover of LoTR, but when I want to re-read it, I usually get a paperback edition out of the library so it's not a pain to carry around.

    @Kristin: Thanks for your comment, hope you enjoyed the linked articles!

    @Alison: Linked library systems are great. I remember when the town I grew up in finally linked their library to a multi-town system. The silliest situation was when I lived in Maryland, the tiny town I lived in had its own separate library, while the larger town next door was linked to a larger network. Had to have both cards, of course.

    Right now I have two cards, one for the NYPL system, (branches in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and The Bronx, huge research libraries, art exhibits, etc.)and one for the Queens Library System (branches in Queens, one just two blocks from my apartment, highest circulation in the USA.) Basically, I'm in library heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)