Comics Briefly: Avengers Academy #9, Darkwing Duck #9, Supergirl #61


Favorite Book this week: Avengers Academy #9


All books new in stores 2/16/11

Avengers Academy #9
Writer: Christos Gage, Penciler: Mike McKone

This is a really solid issue of a really solid book. The art is still hit and miss, but there weren't any terrible panels this month. I especially enjoyed the scenes between Finesse and Taskmaster, and Finesse and Quicksilver. Nice dialogue, nice structure, well done overall.

Darkwing Duck #9
Writer: Ian Brill, Artist: James Silvani

Start of a new storyline this issue, and the return of a classic villain. This is one of the most reliable books I collect. I don't know that it's often mindblowing, but I always enjoy it. Plus, Steelbeak claims F.O.W.L. is trying to do something which very much amuses me...I'll look forward to seeing what happens.

Supergirl #61
Writer: James Peaty, Artist: Bernard Chang

More of the same from last month, plus some good guest stars. I should mention here that I absolutely love Kara sitting in the air. The new villain gives some hints to his identity, and we're left with a cliffhanger that would be stronger if it didn't tangentially remind me about what's happening in other books I don't collect. That's probably not this writer's fault, though.

Also Considered:

Wolverine and Jubilee #2
Read this in the store and it's quite good, but I passed on the first one, so I might just pick this up later if it gets collected.

Comments

  1. Re-reading Darkwing Duck looking for Easter Eggs in the art. I count... a lot, including a few very obscure ones. Anyone else spot the Black Cauldron hat-tip?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)