Book Blogger Hop Jan 14


Book Blogger HopThis is the Book Blogger Hop, hosted at crazy-for-books.com

This week's question for discussion:


"Why do you read the genre that you do? What draws you to it?"

 Well, I read a lot of different genres off and on, but I always return to fantasy and sci-fi novels. I prefer to read about characters in extraordinary situations. I have trouble connecting to characters who aren't engaged in something larger than themselves. I love fantasy for its tales of "what could of been" and sci-fi for its tales of "what could be," (even though I don't actually believe in fairies or alien abduction, etc.)

(This is not to say that I never enjoy "realistic" fiction, but I almost never do, not any set in modern day at least. Other genres of special interest include Historical fiction, Noir, Mystery, and Horror.)

I especially enjoy novels that engage with big ideas or situations that are fantasy today: what might happen if we developed this or that technology, or met an alien race, or met a truly alien race. What would it be like to live in a world that had multiple sentient species (elves, etc.) or if magic was a normal part of life, or the gods were real and they were bastards, or there were superheroes...the more imaginative the better (while still being coherent and interesting). Bonus points for books that manage to also fit in both an exciting, adventurous plot and compelling, intriguing characters.

There are enough "true-to-life" stories in real life.  When I read, I want to explore the boundaries of imagination, and confront something new that I've never thought about before.  

-----------------------------------
Recent updates of Interest

Comments

  1. Hopping through!! Hope your enjoying your weekend and you can find my HOP answer and FEVERfest recap at The Bookish Snob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through! Stop by and enter my giveaway for Break of Dawn(Vampire Babylon 3) by Chris Marie Green(ends 1/24)

    Kristin
    MyBookishWays

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FYI: Most comments are moderated, and will not appear immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

The Silence of the Elves (crosspost)

The Santa Claus Man (crosspost)

If the Fates Allow (crosspost)